Thursday, December 18, 2008

Christmas traditions

Every Christmas Eve of my entire life has entailed a trip to Grandma and Grandpas for Christmas Eve dinner (the best meal of the year). Grandma would always make a huge spread. She made tons of food so we'd all have left overs to eat on Christmas Day and wouldn't have to cook. Oh my, she made the best party potatoes (mashed potatoes with sour cream and cream cheese) and mayonnaise cake ever. I don't really know what all is in the mayo cake but I know she puts miracle whip and cocoa and... she just "puts in a lil of this n a lil of that." It is the most moist chocolate cake ever. Isn't it funny how Grandmas bake and know all the tricks? I wonder if we will be the same way when we're grandparents- since now you can buy rolls of cookie dough to easily bake and I think most of us now-a-days don't 1. have the time in our busy lives to bake or 2. we don't know how. So it's easy to grab premade cookie dough.

Anyway, back to holiday traditions.... Christmas Eve at Grandma and Grandpas house always went the same. My Dad's side of the family is very small. So it's just my parents, uncle and wife, and gma and gpa. We would eat, eat some more, talk about how stuffed we are, and someone gets nominated to be Santa and pass out presents. Then after all the presents were open, we'd visit, and start packing up the car for our hour + drive home. I always enjoyed falling asleep in the car on the way home... from the time I was a kid til even know. I just always feel comfy, full, happy, and warm and snuggled in the car.

We are trying to start a new tradition this year. They say you should do that when you have lost a loved one. So, since this is our first Christmas without Grandpa, we are having Christmas Eve dinner at Uncle Ron and Aunt Deb's house. It will be better this way b/cuz Grandma just turned 83 and although she is in excellent shape, it's a lot of work for her to cook for all of us. So, we're all bringing a dish (like we have in the past) and Grandma is bringing party potatoes to my Uncle's! We've instructed her to only bring 3 things.

... but what's it going to be like when we all sit down around the tree to open presents and Grandpa (who was the rock of our family) isn't there? I can just hear my Grandma saying "this doesn't feel like Christmas" and it breaks my heart. Her first Christmas alone in 63 yrs. God love her.

Anyway, let's toast to the fond memories of old Christmas traditions and welcome the birth of new family traditions. Have a warm and safe weekend and goodluck with any last minute Christmas shopping. I know I will be out at some point tieing up loose ends.
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a goonight.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You guys will have a great Christmas with little Mason. He will be your rock :)

Cool Gal said...

Sorry about the loss of your grandpa. It's difficult, especially around the holidays.

But, as hard as it may be, you and your family(grandma)are still surrounded by loved ones. That helps!

I think the idea of starting a "new" tradition is wonderful. Like all of us, we have our traditions from childhood, now it's time to make traditions for our own children. Just look what fond memories you have of Christmas.

God bless and Happy Holidays!