Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A tribute to pickels

I am a pickel freak. Wait, let me specify that I am a dill pickel freak. I hate sweet pickels of any sort. It's strictly just dill for me. I have always been a huge fan of dill pickels. My brother and I both devoured pickels when we were little. One year for Christmas our Grandma got us a HUGE jar of pickels and don't ya know- we ate them all. So I was thinking about all the ways I like to eat pickels, and I came up with a list.

1. a crunchy pickel wrapped in a thin slice of ham
2. pickels on a sandwich of any sort
3. pickels dipped in ranch dressing or ranch type dip
4. sliced pickels on a peanut butter sandwich
5. fried pickels..... "aaaaaaah" the Gods have spoken (my favorite!)
6. pickel slices in tuna
7. pickels or pickel relish on a salad
8. pickels or relish in potato salad, deviled eggs, and egg salad
9. pickel sandwich (bread, butter, and pickels)
10. beloved pickel juice
If I said the word pickel would you think of the top picture or the bottom half? I think most people associate pickels with the top part of the picture. I think my friend- "the pickel" is very misunderstood. What about fresh pickels, aka cucumbers? There are so many ways to eat a cucumber that are so yummy. My Grandma always used to make pickels and onions. I make it now and it's always a family favorite. It consists of : thin sliced cucumbers (peeled), mayo, white vinegar, and seasoning (some put sugar in it). I also love cucumbers, tomatos, and onions tossed in some sort of vinegarette dressing. Simple and yet so fabulous.
How do you eat your pickels?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are hilarious. And do you seriously put pickels on pb sand's?

Jenn said...

That is the funniest thing I have ever read! Girl ya had me laughing so hard I could barely breathe! Though I'm a sweet pickel fan! However, you so just killed peanut butter sandwiches for me! =)

Cool Gal said...

I have a great recipe for pickle dip:

1 brick cream cheese (room temp.)
3 pickle spears, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp. season salt
1 Tbsp. mayo
1 tsp. garlic salt
1/4 tsp. onion powder

Whip c.cheese until fluffy. Add other ingredients and stir.

Serve with Frito Scoops.

Yum. This is so delicious. Enjoy!